President Dudley Blog

Hello,  Everyone.  I am now a blogger!

29 Responses to “President Dudley Blog”

1. Alison Cherowitzo

Can you speak to the October MSEA Day? Older versions of the calendar said no school for students and teachers. Version on line now says no school for students. Then there is a note:10- and 11-month employees should refer to Bulletin M-1-18: Scheduled Workdays and Allocation for Supporting Personnel and 11-Month
    Professional Personnel for the 2017-2018 School Year (Released in July 2017) for clarification on workdays. Do you know where one would find this bulletin??

• ssmith

All bulletins can be found on the pgcps.org website – perform a search. Also, this issue is being reconsidered as we speak. PGCEA is awaiting word from the Board of Education on it. Also, that day has been designated as a professional development day to make up for the 180 student instruction days and 192 teacher work days, according to MSDE requirements.

2. Emma Mateo

Hi Ms. Dudley. First and foremost, please allow me to express my gratitude for taking time from your busy schedule to meet (and inspire) us (PEIP teachers). To me, you did not only share valuable information, you have imparted the spirit of commitment and dedication to the students we all serve. PGCPS educators and staff are indeed to blessed to have you us our leader/advocate. Rest assured that you have my support. 🙂

On a different note, I happened to be one of the fortunate recipients from the drawing this evening. I won the Wizard game tickets. I am just wondering if I need to go somewhere to claim the actual tickets. The prize was written outside the envelope, but the tickets were not attached or included inside.

I am thrilled to start working with phenomenal and passionate educators here in PGCPS.

Sincerely,
    Emma Mateo, NBCT
    Special Educator
    Frances Fuchs ECC

3. Jennifer Finn

Why are we still working without a new contract? When will this be rectified? Is this fair to members to have a contract that ended in 2015?

• ssmith

The Negotiations Team has reached an agreement with the Board of Education. As a result, information will be sent to all members on it in the coming weeks. Stay tune. This situation will be rectified.

4. Clinton W. Jennifer

Greetings Ms. Dudley – Please, please, please assist me with my request for a legal interpretation of COMAR code:

I was rated ineffective last school year. I am proud of the job I did. No sick leave was used and I did everything they asked me. When I appealed the evaluation, the teacher evaluation office based the entire rating on student growth and used no observation data as I had been teaching for the third consecutive semester outside of my certification area. Because I protested the school administration retaliated (in my opinion). At any rate, my appeal did not prevail. But my question is: Doesn’t rating a teacher ineffective with no observation data being used violated 4.C of above COMAR regulation?

Thank you in advance for helping me get the answer.

Clinton W. Jennifer
    84885
    410-599-1579

PS – my next door neighbor at school missed 20-30 days and was rated effective!

• ssmith

Please contact PGCEA office in order to contact your UniServ Director who can assist you with this issue and answer your question.

5. 33705

I am unable to access current contract with this new site(WordPress). what steps am I missing ?

6. 25911

Hello,
    I hear rumors that there will be no step increase this year. I really hope the union can make a step increase a top priority. The money from the casinos at National Harbor was supposed to help supply funds to the school system. Teachers need to be compensated fairly or they will be leaving for counties that do give step increases.

• ssmith

There was a strong press by the negotiations team to make everyone whole and on par. Negotiations information will be sent to all members about the agreement that will be voted on. Stay tune.

• ssmith

During negotiations, the PGCEA Negotiations Team worked diligently toward this goal. Restoring steps was a top priority. However, information on the agreement that was reached by both sides and will be ratified by membership will be forthcoming for consideration and a vote. Please look out for that information in your email or mail box.

7. 60069

Where do I click on the website to find the list of all the teachers at my school? There are a good number of new students at my school and I don’t know where to look to see if they have joined PGCEA.

8. 20127

Hello, I am trying to find out information on the current contract negotiations. What is being put on the table in regards to salary increase seeing as we are still 4 steps in the rear and are being asked to do more at work. Are we allowed to strike and if so under what conditions? I would also like to know who the uniserv rep is for Thomas Johnson Middle School. Thank you so much.

• ssmith

There has been an agreement that will be discussed at an upcoming Rep Council meeting. And, information will be sent to all members on the agreement prior to a ratification vote. Watch out for it.

9. Kimberly Havens

There are teachers in my school who have contacted me as an FAC Rep who want to know if they are still considered Members of FAC b/c there appears to be no union contribution in their current paycheck. How would they double check? Is there an in-house list of Northwestern High School FAC Membership that could be accessed?

• ssmith

If they are new teachers, we are still processing those forms and dues will be deducted soon. If they are not new hires, then the Association will have to investigate and work with the Board of Education on this payroll issue. Furthermore, if no dues are taken out, then they are fee payers and are not members. That being the case, they will need to complete a membership form that can be found on the PGCEA webpage — http://www.pgcea.org